Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Wake Up Sid! Hindi Movie

First of all I HAVE to tell you about the unfortunate demise of the head honcho of Trump It Entertainment and Creative Services(which as most of you DON'T know, is the name of the place I work for. Yes, I work. Really.) Gina Braganza.

Here's the bottom line. Gina was awesome. Gina was wonder-woman. And if I could ever do as much as Gina had done in her life I'd be the happiest person in the world.

So Rest In Peace, Gina. You'll never know how much you inspired an irreverent brat who you never thought was any good at what she does. I would have liked you to meet me in 10 years - just so that you realise that that faith wasn't wasted on someone who will do nothing with her life.

Now, lovers, enough about my personal life and what's happening in it, because you don't really care about it, and I don't care for you to know either.

Lets talk about Wake Up Sid.
You consider me a rather bitchy nutjob, but at least a friend, don't you? So be honest. When you first heard about the two leads in the film, didn't you go 'Whaaa? No. It'll never work.'
No?
Then you're more forgiving. I however, did.

Ranbeer Kapoor? Konkona Sen Sharma? My favouritest boy-toy on the market, the term 'favouritest' (and yes, I know that isn't a real word) being influenced hugely by the fact that he has an 'axe' (very very sexy) behind, and the most irritating average actress in the whole wannabe-Indie Hindi movie scene - together? Opposite each other? Whaaaaaaaat?

No. No. NO.

But don't be so hasty. After this movie, I will have complete faith in new directors, especially ones like Ayan Mukherji. No more doubt. I will open my mind to new experiences. (To be honest I wanted to insert a very NSFW metaphor here which included being ridden like a...well, lets just stop here because whether I like it or not I have family looking at this blog to which I would like to say - please don't. I can't be myself without wondering who is going to jump on me for saying what.)

The plot - well, there isn't much of it. The realism - well, with Aisha making her filthy empty apartment a designer one on... what? 30 thou a month? (also I will swear on my mother's fan shaped porcelain earrings that she was wearing Jimmy Choos or a designer equivalent in one scene) - there isn't much of that either. The novelty factor - erm, the less said about THAT, the better.
Then what, you ask, dear reader, is all the hoo-haa about?

If you would ask me what the main reason is that I love Ranbeer Kapoor, I would tell you that besides the fact that he has a FABULOUS derriere, he has the ability to make the best out of his idiotic roles. Not that this one was idiotic. I liked his character. Because that would be me. And I swear to God, the fight he has in his house with his father before leaving is a fight I have had with my father many many times.

Konkona's character was also believable. In fact, every single character was believable except for Kashmira Shah's. Have you ever had a neighbour who dresses like that in Mumbai and who isn't a prostitute? If you have please tell me and I will retract this.

However, I am sorry Konkona, but must you do every film of yours as the same woman? The pretty-but-not-gorgeous, insightful, loving, caring, surprisingly talented and subtly womanly darling? Because I am bored of you. Except for Aaja Nach Le where I loved you as a sniffling dirty brat. And honey, I watched that interview of yours on KJo's new show on Zoom(no I don't know what its called because I don't really watch TV, but I'm sure its something like Kuch Tum Kaho, Kuch Hum Kahein which incidentally the title of a very cheesy Fardeen Khan movie which I promise you I haven't watched.) where he asks you if you think you were like the character you played and you said 'no'. Babe. Don't lie to your public. We see through all of it. You are Aisha.

And the chemistry, and there is some, was good! At some point I had my hands in the air cheering on for them to go ahead and Do it, already! But they didn't. No kiss also. Why must you torture me so? I know Ranbeer can kiss, ok! I watched him in Bachna Ae Haseeno with Deepika Padukone and that kiss was ssssmokin! The fact that it was the only ssssmokin thing in the whole film is another story altogether so lets not go there.

But alriiiiiiiiight I will harness my wild emotions and tell you the rest of it.
Great Art Direction. Every single thing in that movie is beautiful, and somehow very simply. Except for Konkona's apartment which is complicatedly trying to achieve a simple look.

I don't like to give away spoilers in my reviews so no more plot. Rating - 4 on 5. Ok, now go away! There's a lot more I want to say about this but I've exceeded my word limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment