Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Coraline.


Anybody who likes the idea of an alternate universe is bound to fascinated by this movie.

The first half went charmingly well, as you fall in love with characters like Wybie(Why Born - Wyborne) and Coraline, the crazily easy-to-imagine Mister Bobbinsky and Miss Spink and Miss Forcible(French and Saunders! Screech!). Coraline finds a door to the 'other' house with her 'other' Mother and Father who are only distinguished by the fact that they have buttons for eyes.

The second half, well, meh. It just reminded me of this computer game that I used to play growing up, and I suspect that any child will probably get the very same delicious chill creeping up their spine from watching Coraline that I used to get playing Escape from Horrorland, but its been done before, y'know? (In my case and with reference to the computer game - Escape from Horrorland was the shyte - if you were into 'Goosebumps'! Whoop whoop, Windows '97!)

So back to the movie.

I dislike Dakota Fanning in general, so she was passable. I do, however, adore Teri Hatcher and I think she did an awesome job. At no point in this movie will you feel bored, because the stop-motion is so fluid and realistic that its hard to believe they've achieved it without using something like Rotoscoping.

Go watch it for the cat. I loved how the purring was so realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment